Barnwood workshop: Building stronger communities
Join the team at Barnwood Trust for a series of three linked workshops* to explore practical community building tools and techniques – how can we enable people to be better connected and build safer, healthier and more inclusive communities in Gloucestershire?
*This workshop takes place in 3 parts, as detailed below.
Part 1: Wednesday 26th February
Part 2: Wednesday 4th March
Part 3: Wednesday 1st April
Times: 10.00am – 3.00pm (lunch provided)
Venue: Overton House, Overton Road, Cheltenham, GL50 3BN
If you are a community-based practitioner or local resident who wants to learn about the principles, tools and resources available to help make a difference in your community, these could be the workshops for you. Discover methods for growing relationships and making connections to create sustainable change and to build a more welcoming and inclusive place where you live or work.
Sessions will include discussion, reflection, practical exercises and self-learning. Barnwood’s Community Builders will also be able to offer guidance and support to help you as you put your learning into practice.
Across the three linked sessions, we will explore a range of topics.
In session 1, we will:
- consider the principles of Asset-based Community Development (ABCD);
- introduce learning conversations, looking at individual gifts; and
- discuss how to get started with community building.
In session 2, we will:
- discover the assets of local communities and how they connect;
- build on ways to get started in the community; and
- explore asset mapping, connecting and mobilising.
In session 3, we will:
- reflect on practice, power dynamics and resilience;
- explore welcome and inclusion;
- discuss good help and knowing when to step back; and
- think about community building challenges and dilemmas.
At the end of the three workshops, you will also be given the opportunity to join a Learning Circle of county-wide Community Builders, co-produced with other organisations in Gloucestershire. The Learning Circle is an informal group that will meet five times in 2020 to explore practice together.
* Please let us know when booking if you are hoping to attend all three ‘Building stronger communities’ sessions. These workshops also work well as part of the series of ten workshops covering strengths-based practices presented by Barnwood Trust.
Note: Blue badge parking spaces are available on-site. Free road side parking for up to 4hrs is available nearby (there will be an opportunity to move your car in the lunch break if needed) and the St. Georges Road paying car park is within 5 minutes’ walk. Please arrive 15 Minutes before for refreshments.
This workshop has a maximum capacity of 25 attendees and places are reserved on a first come, first serve basis. If you book onto the workshop after the capacity has been reached, we’ll place you on a waiting list and let you know.
To sign up for this workshop please call us 01242 539935 or email email@example.com