Our Complaints Policy

Why do we have this policy?

Barnwood Trust is committed to building a sense of belonging in the county. We work with the people of Gloucestershire to bring the people of the county closer together, exploding myths about disability and mental health. By sparking new community connections, sharing ideas and providing grants we enable people to shape where they live and discover new opportunities.

To do this well, it is important that we receive feedback. If we get things wrong, we want to know about it. We want our complaints process to help us to resolve complaints as quickly and effectively as we can. We treat all concerns seriously and hope to learn from them, so that we continue to improve the way we build relationships, carry out our work, and award our grants.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction by a person or persons. It is feedback about the way we work at Barnwood Trust and through our grant giving activities.

Our approach to handling your complaint

We treat all complaints that we receive as an opportunity to improve. If we have made mistakes, we are committed to recognising them so that we can apologise for them, prevent them happening again and make things better in the future.

How do you make a complaint?

We would like you to make your complaint in a way that you are comfortable with. This could be by making a phone call, by speaking to somebody in person, or by sending us something in writing in a letter or in an email.

You may ask someone to help you make your complaint. If so, please ask them to tell us that they are making a complaint on your behalf.

  1. Firstly, if you have already connected with someone at Barnwood Trust (perhaps somebody you have been talking to or working with), please go to them with your comments. They may be able to help put things right for you.

We expect that most complaints can be resolved like this. Barnwood Trust employees and volunteers are able to respond to general concerns and complaints that may arise within their areas of work.

  1. In the event that:
    1. You don’t feel happy with the outcome following this first response to your complaint, or
    2. You feel uncomfortable or that it’s inappropriate to raise your concerns with your main contact at the Trust, or
    3. You have concerns regarding a Trust employee or a volunteer,

we ask that in these instances you put your concerns in writing to our Chief Operating Officer Nicola Mosley. Nicola can be reached at:


Nicola Mosley, Chief Operating Officer, Barnwood Trust, Overton House, Overton Road, Cheltenham, GL50 3BN, or by phone on 01242 539935

Nicola will review the nature of your complaint. If necessary, she may ask the most appropriate Manager to look into further for you. In Nicola’s absence a Director will respond to you.

All complaints will be treated with an appropriate level of confidentiality. Information will be shared with employees and volunteers who need to assist in understanding what has happened, and to enable The Trust to respond appropriately.

Also, when we look into a complaint, we may discover that it is not appropriate to share all of our findings with you when we respond. This may be for data protection or confidentiality reasons.

We will be careful to keep you informed about how we will handle your complaint, especially if an immediate resolution cannot be found. We will also try to give you an estimated timescale in which we hope to do this.

Complaints related to applications for grants

If your complaint is about a grant that you have applied for from us:

  1. Firstly, Head of Grants, Emma Hughes, or Head of Social Sustainability, Martin Hawkins (if it concerns a Community Spaces Grant) will be able to clarify any conditions or rules that apply to our Grants process and if your application has been fairly assessed by these.
  1. If you are not happy with the response you have received from Emma Hughes or Martin Hawkins then please use the complaints procedure set out above and contact Nicola Mosley.

The Grants team also work with our chosen suppliers and contractors who may have been used to supply items on our behalf for a grant we have awarded. If your complaint is about an item received through a supplier, the Grants team will be able to help contact them on your behalf.

Complaints and safeguarding

If you have a complaint about something or someone that Barnwood Trust has no direct control over or responsibility for, but where a safeguarding issue has been identified, the Trust will refer the complaint to the appropriate authority including:

Gloucestershire Adult Social Care Helpdesk

Telephone: 01452 426 868

Gloucestershire Children & Families Helpdesk

Telephone: 01452 426 565

Complaints that we may not be able to respond to:

  • When someone is unreasonably or repetitively submitting complaints that Barnwood Trust has already responded to. We will confirm the review that has already taken place without repeating the process.
  • When a complaint is abusive, prejudiced or offensive in any way
  • When we consider a complaint to be harassing a Barnwood Trust employee or volunteer
  • Barnwood Trust cannot respond to complaints made anonymously. We will try to review the complaint and use that information to improve in any way that we can.

Making a complaint to an external regulator

If your complaint is about Barnwood Trust and the work we carry out as a Charity, or you do not feel completely satisfied by our responses through the above processes then you can contact the Charity Commission:

The Charity Commission,
PO Box 1227
L69 3UG

0845 3000 218